Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mmm! Oxbow School of Art in Saugatuck, MI.

Oxbow path ©Antonia Ruppert
Mmm! Ox-Bow, school of art and artists’ residency. Good views. Yummy food. Soulful people. Oxbow is in Saugatuck, MI and is affiliated with the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. It has served as a retreat for visual artists since 1910. This past week, I took a drawing/painting class with New York artist, Jimmy Wright. He pushed me and challenged me in significant ways - allowing me to create some paintings that are precious to me.
Here are some views of Oxbow and my first painting. Well not exactly - I had actually spent a day painting a still life of peaches which Jimmy abhorred. 
The next day he said, "No more peaches." He suggested I get out into the land. So this is actually my first finished landscape painting using the techniques he taught us.
View from my easel ©Antonia Ruppert
Landscape painting, layer one
©Antonia Ruppert

Don't you love learning something new?


No comments: