Monday, March 5, 2012

20 Minutes a Day (How to Get it Done)

Do you have an immovable project?  No sure how you'll tackle your next goal? Try working on it 20 minutes a day. Check out this 1.5 minute video where I share a concept that is helping me: http://youtu.be/LOgT1MfA09k



As I shared in the video, my latest oil portrait painting is being created in about 20 minutes a day. I get my paints out. I set my timer and get to work. Some days are good and some days... 

But since I’ve been at this for about 3 weeks - lo and behold, the painting has started forming.  I looked up after a painting session and saw the portrait beginning to take shape.

Why? 20 minutes a day. 

I obtained the idea from author Julia Cameron in her book, Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance.   In one of her suggested tasks, she advises readers to spend twenty minutes daily in their art form.  She also suggests utilizing believing mirrors - “friends who are friends to our work” to help us stay accountable. 

So I enlisted my friend Lisa to help me.  I checked in with her either before or after I painted.  She was tough too and yet very encouraging as I made progress.

Day 1 - Oil Sketch on Canvas - ©Toni Ruppert

Week 2 - Oil on Canvas - ©Toni Ruppert

 I lost count here but this was further along in the process...

This one below is where the painting is now.  Just a few more sessions and it will be completed.
"Granddad and Grandma" - Oil on Canvas - ©Toni Ruppert

Again, perhaps you have something in your path- a goal or a monster project.  These words have encouraged me as I take my 20 minutes and place them in God’s hands...

  • “Who dares despise the day of small things...”(Bible-- Zechariah 4:10)
  • “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged by the size of the task, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.” (Bible--1 Chronicles 28:20)
  • “The odds stacked against us as an artist immediately lessen if we are in fact doing our work.” ~Julia Cameron
I believe paintings and other goals can be completed with small actions.  So go ahead.  Locate that goal in your heart.  Find your timer and get started.  It’s “just” twenty minutes.

Question:
What huge projects have you completed using small doable actions?  What goals can you still achieve using the "20 minutes a day" method?

3 comments:

Pam Taylor said...

Great coaching there, Toni! And everyone can see by your video clip and your blog that success is possible. Very cool! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi there Pam! That comment coming from you - a real live coach--means a lot! Thank YOU!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, dear Toni. I'm a writer, and I've also just committed to the 20 minutes a day, inspired by Cameron's Finding Water. This work will be done. Amen.