Monday, March 12, 2012

Give Up On Your Dream? No Way!

'Worship in His Presence"   36x48 inches   Watercolor and Ink  ©Toni Ruppert

My sister-in-law, Bridgette, called me the other day and asked me "Aren’t you glad you didn’t give up on your dream?” I almost ‘died’ right there because that day, I felt like I was in the middle of a Job-like experience and my current dream seemed out of reach.

But after speaking to Bridgette, I discovered that it’s all in perspective.  She reminded me of the year 2004 - a significant year for me.  That was the last time I worked as a secretary-who-really-wanted-to-be-a-full-time-artist. 

She brought to my mind how all I had hoped for at the time was to schlep my stuff to a Borders bookstore.  Maybe, just maybe -  “they” would give me permission to show in their cafe.   

After she said that, it prompted me to review my journal from March, 2004.  I saw: 

--I wanted to be in an art show and barely had an artist statement together
--I wondered if the local park district would let get a spare wall to paint on
--My Thursday night watercolor class with Lenox Wallace at The Center in Palos Heights was my lifeline and only artistic outlet
--I tried to share my portfolio with an admissions person at a local fine arts college
--I brought my portfolio to work to show to the public relations rep. - I longed to paint something  - anything - for my employer

Lots of dreaming, hoping and praying in March 2004.  

Then, in 2008, God prompted me to take a step of faith. That one step was to walk through a door HE opened for me. That door led to my second public art project for a city library. That second project was huge and helped me and two other artisans financially.

As I contemplate my sister in law’s question, “Aren't you glad you didn't give up on your dream?,” I know my answer. 

And there are more creative dreams for 2012 that I’m not going to give up on.
What dream are you not giving up on?

4 comments:

Nancy Teague said...

I love the "Dream Giver"!

Keep on keepin' on Toni. It's amazing how, in the Lord, we can look back on rough stuff and realize His goodness was at work all along the way.

Blessings on your freedom and creativity.

Unknown said...

So grateful to hear from you Nancy!
You are so right.

I heard someone say that it is in the rough times that God's goodness shines the most.

I tend to agree.

RetroBabs said...

Toni have you heard of kickstart? It is a way to raise funds for a project. Anything from a book to a business. this may be a way for you to prosper.
http://www.kickstarter.com/discover

Good Luck
Barb

Unknown said...

Thanks Barb--what a neat idea! Thanks for taking the time to let me know.