Thursday, February 12, 2015

Faces of Strength: Inner Fortitude

"Holding the Treasure" © Antonia Ruppert
12 x 12-  Mixed Media on Panel
Prints are available on: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/toni-ruppert.html
What is your story of inner fortitude?  I want to hear it. This week I met Lulu who had an amazing story of strength.  She taught me a new word - “fortaleza”  - the Spanish word for fortitude which means having courage in pain or adversity.  

Lulu spoke of the time when her husband died a number of years ago.  He was extremely kind and her angel she said.  During this period of raising her children, she learned fortitude through God’s strength.  “If he did not help, I don’t know how…”  Her voice trailed off, but I knew exactly what she meant.

Do you understand this as well?

Today, Lulu is full of spirit and light.  She says her main focus is God, family, grandchildren and her kids in that order. (Sorry kids.) She believes making a life for others - thinking about others is the best way for her.  I will be creating a painting about Lulu’s story next.  I’ll post it here when it is completed. 

Pictured today is “Holding the Treasure,” another rendition of Jenny, who I previously interviewed and painted.  From her love of making chicken soup to 365 days a year of love, this mixed media acrylic painting shares her story.

Does this painting resonate with your story? Have you experienced “fortaleza” that inner fortitude I spoke of at the beginning of this post?  I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.  Thank you!

In fact, if you are local to Chicago, I’d love to hear your story in person at my next group show which opens this Saturday.

Valentines Day Opening

“Women of Many Colors” Group Art show curated by Dianna Long.  

Chicago Urban Art Retreat Center (Liz Long Gallery) - 773-542-9126
1957 S. Spaulding Ave. Chicago, Il. 60623

Saturday, Feb. 14, 2015 (1-4pm) Art show opening reception
Saturday, March 21, 2015 - Last day of show. It closes at 4p.m.

Whether I see you in person or simply connect in this space, Thank You for being here!

Antonia

No comments: