Wednesday, March 25, 2015

What I Learned this Week about Laughter


portrait, Sylvia, acrylic, mixed media
"In the Mirror"
©Antonia Ruppert
Acrylic and Mixed Media
12x12
Do you ever laugh at yourself? This week I learned that part of being human is being able to laugh at your own experiences.  My 9 year old spent some part of this evening watching some of my old videos and laughing. 

This was NOT a “laugh with you” kind of laugher.

She said look at your clothes, why did you wear that? (And I thought my clothes were just fine.)

She then said, “Look Mom, look at your dancing!” After some moments of watching, she finally said “You freak me out!”

I had to say OK and laugh with her. Some of my old videos were a bit much -  to say the least.  We had a moment together.

I am working on a poem - an ode to my youngest which I will share with you next post.

Pictured in this post is another painting from my series Faces of Strength.  “In the Mirror” is a rendition of Sylvia. Another painting of Sylvia is posted here.


This week I learned to not take myself so seriously. Have you laughed at your own self lately? 

Go ahead, look again at those old videos. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments: